Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thing 14: Technorati

I don't know if I just don't get it, or if Technorati is just not my thing. I don't really get the point. I mean, I understand that it searches blogs by organizing them into subject areas using tags- I guess it's just not relevant to me in my life right now. I'd much rather find blogs that are respected and authoritative in library land rather than spend time searching on my own.

I watched the You Tube video about Technorati and agree with the girl that spoke about the Top 100 blogs being the Top 100 crazy people who post 20 times a day and respond to each other. This just doesn't seem relevant to those of us who are more normal and just want to include a select few blogs in our "circle of wisdom."

I chose not to register my blog on Technorati because I'm not sure if it's something I'll keep up with posting on after this assignment is complete. I would much rather post on Facebook than blogger.com at this point.

I do think tagging information is valuable. I found the tags on Flickr to be very helpful in locating photos. Tags on Del.icio.us help to organize and find information. Tags on facebook help to identify people and connect them together. Overall, tags are great time savers that help people find the information they are looking for.

No comments: