Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thing 6: Mashups

Before today, I never knew what mashups were, but now that I know, I think they're pretty cool. Basically, mashups are programs that combine features from two different applications. A really neat mashup was Mappr, which took photos from Flickr and placed them on a map according to location information in each picture's tag.As a librarian, there are many mashups I could use. One of the most intriguing mashups I came across was on Big Huge Lab's FD's Flickr Toys. The mashup uses photos from Flickr to create motivational posters. Someone with a bit of creativity and a bit of time could use these posters to promote new books. There are so many other neat applications on the FD Toys site. Many of these ideas could be great for the library!

No comments: